When Midlothian was established in 1883, churches and schools were constructed. After two frame buildings, the Midlothian public school system built brick buildings. Three 2-story structures were created in 1907, 1915, and 1921. The auditorium in the 1921 building could seat all 12 grades of the student body. Many residents today regret the loss of the three beautiful red brick buildings, which were all torn down by about 1980. (They are pictured in the hallway near the cafeteria).
The red brick Midlothian High School was constructed in 1907 on W Avenue H, the site of the first public school building. This structure was demolished in 1954 and replaced with a long, low building that opened for the spring semester in 1955. Classes met in the gym during construction.
Most of the Midlothian High School boys participated in the Future Farmers of America through their vocational agriculture classes, beginning n 1937. In the 1950s and 1960s, several of the boys raised registered Angus cattle.
In 1928, the MHS football team played at a stadium located in a field at the east end of Indiana Street. Industry now occupies the area.
In the 1930s and 1940s, MHS played football immediately south of their two-story high school, a filed complete with bleachers and lights, in what is now the JR Irvin playground.From 1920 to 1969, the PTA groups of Midlothian schools sponsored an annual May Fete as their primary fund-raiser. A queen, maid of honor, and ladies in waiting were elected from the high school senior class. Every high school homeroom also chose a duke and duchess to represent them in the festivities.First school in Midlothian (picture above taken in 1908). School served grades 1-12. Approximately 200 students and staff. Notice the size of the slates for writing on (front row left, two girls in white). In addition, notice the younger kids far right... teachers (top row middle right). Where the school was located in Midlothian is uncertain.
Any resident of Midlothian who had relatives who attended this school, or more information, is welcome to share the information to add to the school history of MHS. Please contact Gary Gates, current principal of MHS, at 972.775.8237.