The Board of Trustees consists of seven members who act as our District’s policy-making body. Trustees work with the Superintendent and staff to set the direction of the school district with the education and well-being of school children as its primary focus.
Board members are elected at-large by the citizens in MISD to three-year, staggered terms. They not only represent the public, but also translate the needs of students into policies, goals and strategies that reflect the standards and values of the community as a whole.
- Hire and evaluate the superintendent
- Approve the district’s budget
- Establish goals and evaluate outcomes
- Adopt and evaluate policies
- Levy and collect taxes, and issue bonds
- Order elections, canvass returns, declare results, and issue certificates of election as required by law
- Adhere to guidelines and policies mandated by the Texas Education Agency and the U.S. Department of Education
- Communicate with the community, including the public recognition of student and teacher accomplishments