FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)
The term PII is used frequently in the FAQs below. In regards to FERPA, the term PII stands for Personally Identifiable Information.
- Can a teacher or educator take home education records or personally identifiable information?
- Can a district use videoconferencing or other virtual learning software apps to hold online classes?
- Does FERPA specifically identify which apps a district may use to provide online instruction?
- Can non-students observe a virtual lesson?
- May a teacher record an online class and share the recording with students who are unable to attend?
- Does a video recording of a virtual lesson qualify as an "education record" under FERPA?
- If a district seeks to disclose PII pertaining to a student, may it obtain the parent's consent using electronic means?
- If a teacher is working from home, can she conduct a parent or student conference while a spouse or child is in the same room?